Farris gets 10 years in Hill death fiasco

Steve Chapman

 Mason Lee Farris avoided a possible life sentence when he accepted a plea bargain and pleaded guilty to two counts of resisting arrest on Friday, April 12. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison; seven years for one count and three years for the other. The sentences will run consecutively.
As part of the plea deal, charges of second-degree murder, assault and armed criminal action were dismissed. The murder charge stemmed from Farris’ role in the death of Savannah Hill.
On May 5, 2018, Farris was in the backseat of Hill’s car when she pulled into the parking lot of the Casey’s convenience store on Business 60 in Aurora. Hill, 21, went into the store’s restroom and contacted the Aurora Police Department to tell them Farris was in her car. She suggested that the police pull the car over and arrest him that way, as he would run if they tried to apprehend him in the parking lot.
 When Aurora/Marionville police officers pulled Hill’s car over, Farris, unable to exit the car from the backseat due to childproof locks on the doors, attempted to climb into the front and keep Hill from stopping the vehicle. The car went into reverse and struck Officer Chris Koziek, one of the police officers on the scene. Another officer, David Chapman, fired at the vehicle; one of the shots struck Hill. She died from her injuries three days later.
According to information from the Department of Corrections website, Farris is already serving a five-year term in prison at the South Central Correctional Center in Licking, from earlier convictions on charges of theft, possession of a controlled substance and resisting arrest.
The day after Farris’ sentencing, Chris Nethery, Hill’s father, stated in a Facebook posting that he and the rest of Hill’s family discussed the plea bargain after it was proposed by Farris lawyers and decided to accept it.
“This was a call that was discussed with the entire family before it was decided,” he said. “Now we can put this phase behind us and start to move forward.”
In the posting, Nethery also asked the public for understanding in the family’s decision, and said anyone with any questions about it should contact him or Hill’s mother, Michelle Nethery. He also requested that Hill’s sisters be left alone.
A candlelight vigil in memory of Savannah Hill will be held at the Fraternal Order of Eagles 3948 Lodge in Aurora, Sunday, May 5 at 6 p.m.



Lawrence County Record

312 S. Hickory St.
Mt. Vernon, MO, 65712


Please Login for Premium Content